Derby Public Library public safety response plan to COVID-19 pandemic
UPDATE (3/24/20): The Derby Public Library is moving to Phase Three of its public safety response plan. Services at the drive-thru will be unavailable as of 8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 26.
Phase Three details are as follows:
- All physical services at the library are temporarily suspended, including drive-thru service
- Library staff will be available 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m.-noon Saturday to answer phone calls and email messages to assist patrons with their accounts and for technical assistance
- All due dates on items currently checked out will be delayed until the library is open, so there is no need to return items while the library is closed
- All library digital services remain available while the library is closed
- Online live streaming of yoga, kids’ yoga and story times will continue (be sure to catch it on our Facebook page)
- Library staff will update the public regularly through the library website at www.derbylibrary.com and Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Patrons may contact the library by phone at 316-788-0760 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to the scheduled live stream events, watch our social media for other interactive opportunities with the library.
If you have a teen who is interested in volunteering for summer reading at the library, please be sure to complete the online application on the website here: https://derbylibrary.com/kids-and-teens/teen-volunteers . Physical applications are not available this year.
UPDATE (3/17/20): Interlibrary loan requests are temporarily suspended due to a disruption in statewide library courier service.
(3/16/20) In response to the rapidly changing situation surrounding COVID-19, the Derby Public Library has developed the following plan to ensure the health and safety of patrons and staff.
In the interest of the health and safety of our patrons and staff, Derby Public Library is implementing Phase Two of its public safety plan in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. This takes effect at 8:30 p.m. March 16 and will continue until further notice.
This phase of the safety plan allows for limited access to library materials. The interior of library is closed to public. However, physical materials are still available to be picked up at the drive-thru.
The library’s digital services and online learning are always available, either through the library website (www.derbylibrary.com) or through the appropriate apps for your smart device. Access e-books, audiobooks and more through Libby, RB Digital and Hoopla.
Here is more information about service availability:
- Passport services will be suspended
- Library checkouts will be available at drive-thru only (please place items on hold in advance, either online or by calling the library at 316-788-0760)
- Library programming is canceled until further notice
- Room reservations, including Community Room reservations, in place during Phase Two period are automatically canceled—paid reservations will be refunded or rescheduled—and room reservations are suspended
- Notary services will be suspended
- Fax service will continue to be available
- Staff will be available to answer phones and pull holds during regular library hours
- Transfers between KanShare libraries will still take place, so items from other libraries will be available to pick up at the drive-thru
- Overdue fines will be suspended
- Room reservations are suspended until further notice
- Situation will continue to be monitored, in preparation to implement Phase Three if necessary or to return to regular operating hours and services
All physical library services are unavailable
- The library will close access to all physical services, including the drive-thru
- Digital library services will remain available to patrons
- Public will be updated regularly via website and social media channels about closure, available digital services and measures being taken, including the resumption of normal operating procedure and hours
Please help us by not coming to the library if you are ill, washing your hands before and after handling library materials, and remaining in your vehicle at the drive-thru. Thank you for your understanding and helping keep our community safe. We will continue to monitor the situation and make any necessary changes. If you have any questions, please call the library at 316-788-0760.
For up-to-date information from the CDC about the coronavirus, including prevention tips and how to identify symptoms, please visit the CDC website here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html