Derby Public Library > Events > Adult Programs
The Derby Public Library provides a series of programs and events for adults 18 and over. From book clubs to DIY classes, guest speakers to yoga, there's something for every interest at the library, and it's all free of charge!
If you have any questions regarding programs for adults at the library, please feel free to contact Adult Services Coordinator, Alyssa LaRue, at email@example.com
Adult Summer Reading Challenge - Starts May 30!
Read six books this summer to win a finisher prize, a voucher for the library book sale, and an entry for our grand prizes!
Info to Know
- Participants of the Adult Reading Challenge must be 18 or over
- Each logged book must be at least 100 pages in length
- E-books, audio books, and graphic novels are allowed as long as they meet the page length requirement.
- Adult readers may submit only one reading log
- Readers must either return a completed paper reading log to the library or submit their reading virtually by Sunday, July 30 at 5 p.m. to receive prizes.
All readers who read six books will get to choose a prize from our prize tub. These prizes include travel mugs, water bottles, journals, socks, and tote bags. Readers will also get a library book sale voucher for 3 free sale items including books, audiobooks, CDs, or DVDs.
Grand Prizes - drawings will take place after July 30 and winners will be notified via phone call.
- VIZIO 50" Class V-Series 4K Smart TV
- $100 The Sandbox Gift Card
- $100 Watermark Books Gift Card
- $100 Regal Cinema Gift Card
- $100 The COOP Gift Card
To receive your prizes, please make sure to complete your reading log either virtually or by turning in a paper log no later than Sunday, July 30 at 5 p.m.
The library offers free yoga classes for adult patrons of all experience levels. Our yoga classes are instructed by Alyssa LaRue, a 200-HR Registered Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance and graduate of the Siva Yoga Teacher Training by Adrian and Whitney Tartler. Alyssa has been teaching yoga at the library since 2018 and offers a range of classes including hatha, vinyasa, yin, restorative, meditation, and even classes for kids!
All classes are held in the Community Room and do not require registration. We also have a limited number of yoga mats to borrow as well as yoga towels, blocks, and straps.
Summer 2023 Season
- Blended Power Yoga combines Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and Kundalini for an energizing power yoga class with modifications for all yogis levels.
- Peace in Progress Yoga includes slow and restorative class with Yin-style stretches and breathing meditations to bring inner and outer peace
- Taylor Swift Yoga includes a blend of yoga styles themed around Taylor Swift's songs and stories and set to an epic playlist
- Sunshine Yoga is a morning outdoor yoga classes including standing poses and meditation. We will meet in the Community Room first to determine weather before heading outside
These classes are perfect to develop new skills or explore topics of interest. Instructed by staff members and representatives from the community, Derby DIY is a fun and free way to broaden your experience and enrich your daily life.
The Library Lounge is an opportunity for adult patrons to watch selected movies on the Community Room screen for free with no registration required. Every Library Lounge offers refreshments, mocktails, crafts, coloring pages, and giveaways. Patrons are welcome to bring pillows or blankets to use with the provided seating for extra comfort, and patrons may also bring any personal crafts or to-do list items like sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, coupon cutting, calendar or agenda planning, bullet journaling, or any other materials to work on during the film.
For crafty patrons, Saturday Crafternoon is a monthly weekend program with themed craft projects to make at the library. We provide all of the materials and light refreshments in the Frank Fanning Room. Registration is required and limited to 16 sign-ups. Check the themes and dates below for more info: