Derby Public Library > Kids & Teens > Teen Volunteers
Applications are due Monday, April 17 by 6pm.
To apply online, please complete the application at the bottom of this page.
Please contact Alyssa LaRue, Teen Volunteer Coordinator, with any questions.
(316) 788-0760 or email@example.com
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 18 as of May 28, 2019
- Must have transportation to and from the library
- Must know how to use a computer
- Must be a dependable, responsible worker
- Must attend a MANDATORY orientation session 4-5 p.m. Tuesday, May 5 in the Community Room
Description of duties and responsibilities
- Staff the summer reading desk and greet patrons
- Assist parents with registering children and teens for the summer reading program using Beanstack.
- Provide assistance during Youth Services programming, including helping with centers and seating during performances
- Acting in story time skits; help with music and passing out materials to enhance story time
- Help with set up and break down for programs and events
- During downtime, straighten library collection, label Summer Reading prize books, prepare crafts for programming, and put together Summer Reading prize packages
- Summer Reading runs May 26-July 26; teen volunteers work only Monday-Friday
- Desk shifts are Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-noon, noon-3 p.m., and 3-5:30 p.m.
- Program shifts are generally 9:30-11:15 a.m. and 1:30-3:15 p.m. on varying days
- The story time shift is 9:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Teens should keep in mind that Teen Tuesday is Tuesdays at 4pm and Mythical Moviecraft is Wednesdays from 2pm - 4pm. If teens are interested in participating in these programs, please add this to your availability.
- Each teen volunteer is generally scheduled to work three to six hours a week, depending on availability
Teen Volunteer Application
Please complete this application and click send. The Summer Reading volunteer coordinator will review all applications.
- If you have not volunteered with the library before, you will be contacted by the teen volunteer coordinator for a phone interview.
- If you are a returning volunteer, you will not need an interview, but you are still required to attend the mandatory Teen Volunteer Orientation on Tuesday, May 5 from 4pm - 5pm.
Please note that applying to volunteer does not guarantee a volunteer placement.