Derby Public Library > Kids & Teens > Teen Volunteers
Summer Reading Teen Volunteers
*Applications are due Monday, April 15.
To apply online, please complete application at the bottom of this page.
Please contact Hannah Adamson, Teen Volunteer Coordinator, with any questions.
(316) 788-0760 or email@example.com
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 18 as of May 28, 2019
- Must have transportation to and from the library
- Must know how to use a computer
- Must be a dependable, responsible worker
- Must attend a MANDATORY orientation session 4-5 p.m. Tuesday, May 7 in the Community Room
Description of duties and responsibilities
- Staff the Summer Reading desk
- Sign up children and teens for the Summer Reading Program using data entry software on a computer
- Provide assistance during Youth Services programming, including helping with centers and seating during performances
- Acting in story time skits; help with music and shakers
- Help with set up and break down for programs and events
- During downtime, straighten library collection, label Summer Reading prize books, prepare crafts for programming, and put together Summer Reading prize packages
- Summer Reading runs May 28-July 28; teen volunteers work only Monday-Friday
- Desk shifts are Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-noon, noon-3 p.m., and 3-5:30 p.m.
- Program shifts are generally 9:30-11:15 a.m. and 1:30-3:15 p.m. on varying days
- The story time shift is 9:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Each teen volunteer is generally scheduled to work four to eight hours a week, depending on availability
Teen Volunteer Application
Please complete this application and click send. The Summer Reading volunteer coordinator will review all applications. If you have not volunteered with the library before, we will schedule an interview with you. There are a limited number of positions available. Please note that applying to volunteer does not guarantee a volunteer placement.