Derby Public Library > Kids & Teens > Teens
All Together Now! Get ready for a jam-packed teen summer at Derby Public Library! Stop by the Teen Scene area to game on the computers and hang out with friends. Join us for the summer-ized Teen Tuesday, get creative and make an original movie, or help solve a murder at the special after-hours Teen Murder Mystery Night. And don't forget to sign up for the reading challenge to win prizes and an entry into a grand prize drawing!
Registration begins May 30 and the last day to turn in logs to redeem for prizes is Sunday, July 30 at 5 p.m.
Teen readers in grades 6-12 will read 12 hours to complete the challenge and earn prizes!
This summer's prizes include:
- A new book, fresh from Scholastic Publishing
- One Pass to Rock River Rapids
- One Coupon from Derby Bowl for 2 free games
- An entry into the grand prize drawing
To register for the reading challenge, teens may either visit the Youth Services Desk or register online with our Google Form.
Join us every Tuesday at 4 p.m. in the Community Room for snacks, crafts, games, and prizes!
No Registration Needed
- June 6 - The Ghostbusters: Who you gonna call? Make your own marshmallow shooter proton pack to fight off Slimer, snack on pizza rolls and ectoplasm punch, and play a live action version of the board game, Ghosts.
- June 13 - Nemo's Tank Gang: Join the team on Mount Wannahockaloogie by making oceans in a bottle, having fish sticks, and tackling the obstacle course to stop Darla and the dreaded Aquascum.
- June 20 - The Nightshade Society: *snap snap* Enter the Nightshade Society with Wednesday and make your own 3D spell book, eat deliciously dark snack cakes, and attempt to put your hand in the Fear Box.
- June 27 - The Stranger Things Party: Grab your walkman and start running up that hill! We'll have french toast sticks, make pipe cleaner monsters, and challenge you to an Upside Down Art Competition.
- July 11 - The Military Infantry: Join the ranks in the field and defend your territory as a member of the Red or Black Regiment in an epic, military-themed game of Capture the Flag. *Participating teens should wear comfortable clothing, outdoor shoes, and be prepared to move and run outside.*
- July 18 - The Marvel Avengers: Avengers, assemble! Enjoy ice cream sundaes, make superhero masks, and battle the Avengers against the villians in an epic card game.
Moviecraft: Cinematic Universe
Thursdays 1-4 p.m.
NEW DAY! NEW TIME!
Registration will open on May 30 at 9 a.m.
This year's filmmaking workshop challenges our filmmakers to continue the story from previous Moviecraft productions, tying characters together from different shorts and creating a single film, unified by the Moviecraft Cinematic Universe. No previous participation required.
*This is a seven-week, 3-hour workshop that may require additional homework outside of class. Teens must attend at least five of seven sessions.
June 8: Uniting the Team
June 15: Uniting the Idea
June 22: Uniting the Film
June 29: Training and Film Day 1
July 6: Film Day 2
July 13: Film Day 3
July 20: Film Day 4 and Re-shoots
Red Carpet Premiere
Friday, July 28 at 7 p.m.
Library Community Room
Celebrate the work of our teen filmmakers by viewing this summer's short film, followed by a behind the scenes documentary and blooper reel. Meet the crew, get autographs, and enjoy the show! Refreshments will be served.
Murder Mystery Night: Killer at Camp Crackerjack
Friday, June 23 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Registration opens May 30 at 9 a.m.
With top-notch camp counselors and the wild forest as a backdrop, Camp Crackerjack is the best place to spend summer vacation! But when a body is found during the Annual Crackerjack Scavenger Hunt, the camp turns deadly, and the hunters become the hunted. Can you ask the right questions, find the clues, and stop the killer before you become the next viction?
Pizza and drinks will be served.
The Elemental Teen Writing Challenge
Unite the five elements by writing an original 5,000-word short story! Writers will follow five challenges themed around earth, air, fire, water, and ether. Writers who complete their stories will win a prize, have the opportunity to share their work on the library's blog, and be entered to win a 3-month subscription to Scribbler, a subscription box curated just for writers.
You can join the writing challenge by completing a paper application at the library or an online application at the link below.
Paper Applications available at the Youth Services Desk beginning May 30 at 9 a.m. All writing submissions will be due on Sunday, July 30 by 5 p.m.