Summer Reading @DPL
Get ready to ooze kindness, celebrate community, and make new friendships this summer at Derby Public Library! The Youth Services librarians have planned events and activities for babies all the way up to teens. This year's theme is All Together Now, so you can make new friends during Preschool Storytime, learn about community heroes during our school age programs, and play group games during Teen Tuesday.
Click the link below to sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge using an easy Google form. (Link will not be live until May 30th!) Pick up a paper log from the library or print one at home. Don't hesitate to the call the library and ask for the Youth Services desk if you have any questions!
We're going Google!
Instead of using the Beanstack reading tracker, we are making the move to Google! Signing up for summer reading is easier than ever. Here's the steps:
- Fill out the Google Form once for each child you are registering for summer reading. Register online or in person at the Youth Services Desk.
- Log reading on a paper log that you can print from home or pick one up at the library.
- When you finish your reading, bring your completed log to the library to pick up your prizes. The last day to pick up prizes is Sunday, July 31st at 5 p.m.
We hope this change will make summer reading easier and more enjoyable for parents, kids, and library staff! The Google Form link will be live on May 31st at 9am.
Reading Challenge Details
Registration for the Summer Reading Challenge using the Google Form and events on the library calendar begins May 30, 2023. Remember, all reading and activities logs need to be turned in to the Youth Services desk and prizes picked up by 5 p.m. Sunday, July 30, 2023.
Birth to age 3: There are 4 activities in each of the 5 early literacy practices for caregivers to complete with their child. Many of these activities may be things you already do with your child. If something isn't age appropriate for your child, replace it with reading a book.
Preschool to entering 5th grade: Read (or be read to) for 12 hours.
Teens (entering 6th grade to entering 12th grade): Read for 12 hours.
Everyone birth to age 18 who signs up for and completes the summer reading challenge will receive a prize package that includes:
- Prize Book of your choice
- 1 pass to Rock River Rapids (child, adult combo pass)
- Coupon good for two games of bowling from Derby Bowling
- One entry to win the grand prize for their age group