Derby Public Library > Events > Medallion Hunt
Smoke on the Plains
Derby BBQ & Music Fest
June 7 - June 12
- The medallion will be hidden in a location within Derby city limits.
- No clues, nor the hiding place, require entry onto private property.
- Anyone who damages, destroys, or trespasses on public or private poperty will be disqualified from the contest. Seekers must obey opening and closing hours for public parks.
- A new clue will be published beginning Monday, Jun 7, 2021, and ending with the final clue on Saturday, June 12, 2021, unless the medallion is found before then.
- Clues will be published on the Derby Public Library Facebook page each day around 9 a.m.
- The seeker who recovers the medallion should bring it to the Derby Public Library, 1600 Walnut Grove, Derby, KS 67037, during normal business hours.
- The winning seeker must be 18 or older to claim the prize. Photo ID is required.
- The medallion must be returned to the library by 5pm on Saturday, June 12, or the grand prize will be forfeited. The contest ends when the medallion is found.
- Employees of the City of Derby and Derby Public Library, and their families are not eligible for the contest.
- The grand prize is a gift card to Hog Wild Pit BBQ and a BBQ prize package.
June 7 - Clue #1
Stay safe. Stay legal. Have fun.
Search with the sun.
10 years of BBQ Derby has seen.
Look in the 503 of green.
Explanation: Derby has 503 acres of public parks. It's hidden in one of them!
June 8 - Clue #2
Food and music make us happy.
Food trucks will be there if you feel snacky.
High, not low.
Don't miss the show.
Explanation: A little bit of misdirection in this clue. It's not in High Park, but it's hidden up high.
June 9 - Clue #3
1999, Hubbard had an idea for public art.
Statues of bronze, many found in a park.
New Derby or old?
Seek the 50s so I'm told.
Explanation: The park the medallion is hidden in is located in the area of Derby developed in the 1950s.
June 10 - Clue #4
Some big, some small.
Grills not in all.
Sports fields, disc golf, and fishing,
None of these will leave you wishing.
Explanation: The park the medallion is located in does not have a sports field, disc golf, or fishing pond.
June 11 - Clue #5
Narrow the spot down to a few.
Bird or shape? One of two.
Steak cookoff tonight,
Smoked on the plains just right.
Explanation: This clue narrows it down to two parks. Bird? Crane Park. Shape? Triangle Park.
June 12 - Clue #6
Brisket, ribs, pulled pork too.
Was that last a double clue?
Hexagon shape of wood,
Look up high and you'll be good.
Explanation: The medallion is hidden in the rafters of the hexagon-shaped gazebo in Triangle Park.