Derby Public Library > Books & Media > Your Virtual Library
Check out our virtual offerings
This is a challenging time as we face so much that is unknown. Even in a global pandemic, the library is here for you with digital services that educate, entertain and beat boredom. All you need is a library card.
No library card? Get an e-card!
If you don't have a library card and would like to use library digital resources, we can help with that. Call the library between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday-Friday or between 9 a.m. and noon Saturday, and staff will set up an e-card that allows you to use all the library's digital resources.
Digital services on your computer
If you are looking for books or magazines, or audiobooks, or TV shows or movies to watch, on your computer? If so, head on over to the E-books page here on our website — click the blue button below — and you'll be able to connect with the following digital services:
- Sunflower eLibrary: Here you will be able to check out e-books and audiobooks to download to your computer. Click on the link, click the sign in button and choose the Derby Public Library from the drop-down list. Then enter your library card number and PIN. Once you've logged in, search by title or author. Or, if you'd rather browse, click on any of the links in the upper left of the screen to browse by subject, collections, Kindle books only, teens or kids titles.
- RB Digital: If you haven't set up an account with RB Digital, you'll need to register with your email address and create a password. Then you'll have access to a collection of more than 3,000 magazines and 36,000 audiobooks, most with no wait time. You can read the magazines or listen to the audiobooks in your browser. You will need an internet connection to read or listen.
- Hoopla: If you haven't set up an account with Hoopla, you will need to register with your email address and create a password. You can check out as many as 10 titles a month. Titles include e-books, audiobooks, e-comic books, music, movies and TV episodes and stream, read or listen directly from your browser.
Digital services on your mobile device
You can also access the Sunflower eLibrary through the Libby app (by OverDrive), and use RB Digital and Hoopla through those respective apps on your smartphone or tablet. You can find links to the App Store and Google Play for each of the apps we offer on the Apps page here on the website. Click on the blue button below to go to the Apps page. Here are the apps you might like to download:
- Libby by OverDrive: This app gives you access to the Sunflower eLibrary so you can check out e-books and audiobooks. Popular titles will have a wait, but you can place holds on them. There is a tutorial video on the Resource Tutorials page here on our website.
- RB Digital app: More than 3,000 magazines and 30,000 audiobooks are available to read or listen to in the app. Audiobooks can be downloaded to your device allowing you to listen without being online. There is an informational video on the Resource Tutorials page here on our website.
- Hoopla app: Download the free Hoopla app to access the books, comic books, music, television episodes and movies to read, listen or watch on the app. The Hoopla app is also available on video streaming devices including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast and smart TVs so you can watch TV episodes and movies on your television set.
- Beanstack: This app is how we'll be tracking summer reading at the library. You can track reading even when there aren't scheduled events in the app. You can use Beanstack from a computer — read more about it on the Beanstack page on our website — or by using the app on your mobile device.
More digital resources for you to check out
Library WiFi available to use outside the building
If you need a place to use free WiFi, you are welcome to come by the library and connect to the WiFi from outside the building. You may not be able to access it from the parking lot, so you may need to move to an area closer to the building. If there are others present also using the WiFi, please be considerate and maintain social distancing.
Library WiFi is available 24/7 while the library is closed. We're pleased to be able to offer this small service at this time.
Need a little help with one of our digital services?
Click on the blue button below to visit the online learning resources page to see tutorials for many of the library's digital resources. Still stymied? Call the library at 316-788-0760 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday or 9 a.m.-noon Saturday.
Catch our Facebook live events!
During this time while the library is closed, we understand that it's important for people to be able to participate in some of the programs the library offers. This is still possible, you'll just participate at home instead of coming to the library!
Watch our Facebook page for updates on when we will feature live events.
Live story time is schedule for 10 a.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday right now.
Alyssa's yoga classes will also be featured on Facebook Live as well. In addition to regular yoga classes (for ages 7 and older), she is also featuring a special children's yoga class at 10 a.m. every Friday. The schedule for yoga classes is on Facebook, and Alyssa also posts a reminder before each class.
Tumblebooks offers additional reading options
You may be familiar with Tumblebooks if you have younger children. With the closing of the library, Tumblebooks has made three more of its collections temprarily available to our library users. These collections are TeenBookCloud, with a collection of books, audiobooks and videos for kids in grades 7-12; AudioBookCloud, which offers a broad selection of audiobooks for all ages; and RomanceBookCloud, offering hundreds of titles in a selection of romance sub-genres.
Click the blue button below to visit our Tumblebooks bonus page, or navigate to it under the Online Learning tab.