Derby Public Library > Kids & Teens > Teen Volunteers
Summer Reading Teen Volunteers
THE LIBRARY IS LOOKING FOR SUMMER TEEN VOLUNTEERS!
Gain leadership experience and volunteer hours by joining our team! Have the opportunity to contribute your ideas and creativity to library programs. Build friendships, establish mentor connections, and earn skills perfect to include on resumes and college forms.
Applications are due Sunday, May 2, by 5 p.m.
Please complete the application at the bottom of this page.
Contact Alyssa LaRue, Teen Volunteer Coordinator, with any questions.
(316) 788-0760 or email@example.com
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 18 as of June 1, 2021
- Must have transportation to and from the library
- Must know how to use a computer
- Must be a dependable, responsible worker
- Must attend a MANDATORY socially distant, in-person orientation session on Tuesday, May 11 from 4 p.m.- 5 p.m. in the Community Room. Please wear a mask to the orientation.
Description of duties and responsibilities
This summer's Volunteer Tasks are divided into three categories. Volunteers will complete activities within one of these categories during their shift.
Clerical Tasks (2-3 hour shifts)
- Putting summer reading stickers in prize books
- July desk shifts to award prizes to summer reading finishers
- Assemble youth craft kits
- Cleaning tables/dusting shelves
- If weekly programs are in person, assist with set-up and take-down of K-5 and Teen programs
Editorial Tasks (1-2 hours)
- Writing book reviews for the library blog
- Writing op-eds related to summer such as travel experiences, things to do in the city, recommendations for movies/video games/music, etc.
Performative Tasks (2-3 hour shifts)
- Assist with pre-school storytime (either in-person or during virtual filming)
- Create special teen-led storytime video puppet show
- Be a Moviecraft Production Assistant (assist with activities, help train teens with equipment, act as a runner for materials)
- Greeters: wear costumes and greet patrons, take photos, and be in Facebook/Instagram posts
- Summer Reading 2021 runs from June 1-July 25; teen volunteers work only Monday-Friday.
- The volunteer schedule will depend on the teen's availability and area of interest. Volunteer shifts may be from one to three hours long.
- Teens may request how many hours they wish to earn during their summer experience. While not guaranteed they will receive all the hours, we will do our best to schedule them.
- Teens should keep in mind that Teen Tuesday will be held Tuesdays at 4 p.m. If teens are interested in participating in this program, please note this in your availability.
Teen Volunteer Application
Please complete this application and click send. The Summer Reading volunteer coordinator will review all applications. There's no interview phase to apply for a library volunteer position, but the coordinator may contact you if there are additional questions.
Please note that applying to volunteer does not guarantee a volunteer placement. There are a limited number of spots available this season.
APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL BY MAY 4
IF THEY HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS A SUMMER TEEN VOLUNTEER